Who and why
Fliptronics is a digital systems and software consulting company.
Currently Fliptronics is just one person, Philip Freidin.
Although Fliptronics has existed in one form or another since
1975, its most recent incarnation as a consultancy came about in 1994, and
full time availability for consulting services started in 1995. Seven and
a half years of consulting work has convinced me that inspite of never knowing
if I will have any work in 4 to 6 weeks time, it is well worth doing. I have
often been asked if I will be growing the size of Fliptronics beyond just
myself, as I am always very busy and have been turning down more work than
I accept. (Well, 2002 has not been a very good year) Since I can barely
manage myself, the thought of me managing others seems a bit of a stretch.
- Architecture Definition
- FPGA design and testing
- Embedded system design and implementation
- Strategic Marketing and Product Planning
Actual client names are available if you really need them, but
I would have to get their permission. Here are the market segments that my
recent clients are involved in.
- Computer Aided Engineering (CAE)
- Medical Ultrasound Imaging
- Semiconductor Companies
- High end capital equipment for the Semiconductor manufacturers
- Other Consulting companies (load sharing or specialist skills)
- Legal ( I charge extra for these guys)
- Communications (network and satellite)
I currently have three consulting rates, one for when I am doing
design or other 'long term' projects, one for training and short term hand
holding, and one for legal related stuff. I maintain time sheets for each
of my clients, and track time to the 1/4 hour. I avoid fixed price quotes,
because I believe in sharing risk with my clients for their changing and
poor specifications and requirements. If you want fixed price bids, I can
do it, but it will cost more :-)
- FPGA design
- RISC CPU design
- Bit Slice design
- Printed circuit board design
- Real time software
- Embedded software
- Programming in C, Visual Basic, Fortran (as if), Assembler, Microcode.